Sydney and Sydney Eye Hospital is steeped in history, with a legacy of nursing and medical firsts to its credit and has paved the way in many clinical areas – both nationally and internationally.
Sydney Hospital is Australia’s first hospital and dates from the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788.
Sydney Hospital has been located at the present site since 1811, with 2011 marking its milestone of 200 years on Macquarie Street.
The Sydney Eye Hospital started at Millers Point in 1882 and moved to Woolloomooloo in 1922. In 1996 Sydney Eye Hospital was relocated from Sir John Young Crescent site to Macquarie Street to form The Sydney and Sydney Eye Hospital.
Sydney and Sydney Eye Hospital offers quality health care to city residents, workers, visitors and tourists. Our specialist services attract patients from all over NSW.
Clinical services provided are a 24hr Emergency Department (for eyes and general) and outpatient departments (eyes, general and hands). Clinical wards include Eyes, Hands, ENT and General Medicine as well as the Peri-Operative Suite. There is an eight-level car park under the hospital, accessed by Hospital Road, and managed by Metro Parking.
Sydney and Sydney Eye Hospital is a quaternary referral unit for Eye diseases, providing surgical and medical management of vitreo-retinal, corneal, glaucoma, oculo-plastic, uveitis, and oculo-oncology conditions.
Sydney and Sydney Eye Hospital has a dedicated Hand Unit and is a tertiary referral centre for hand trauma, abnormalities and diseases.