The Regenerative Sports Medicine team at Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine studies the body’s ability to heal itself.
These innovative, outpatient procedures are minimally invasive, ultrasound-guided, and use local (not general) anesthesia. They are used for a variety of sports injuries and musculoskeletal conditions including:
- Tendon injuries affecting the:
- Ankle (e.g., Achilles)
- Knee (e.g., “Jumper’s knee”)
- Elbow (e.g., “Tennis elbow” or “Golfer’s elbow”)
- Plantar fascia injuries (“Plantar fasciitis”)
- Ligament sprains
- Arthritis and meniscal injuries
We utilize components that your own body creates to assist in your healing process.
- Platelet rich plasma (PRP) – Using your own blood, we are able to isolate and concentrate your platelets that we then inject back into the injured area. Our quality control program ensures that our PRP preparations are consistent and high quality, and our PRP preparations can be individualized to meet your specific needs
- Bone marrow – We obtain bone marrow from your pelvic